Departments
Citizen Service
Print this PageSite Feedback
David Parks (1857-1859)
Public Service:
David Parks was elected to fill the unexpired term of Commissioner William R. Myers (father of the developer of Myers Park).  Following that term, he was re-elected to serve two additional terms.

During his Administration:

  • Gas lights were installed on Charlotte streets
  • The North Carolina Military Institute was built at Morehead Street and South Boulevard. (The building is the current site of the Central Y.M.C.A.)
  • The first brick fire house was built
  • The first fire engine was purchased for $350

 

            Photo of David Parks