Since 1986, the MYEP has worked to prepare Charlotte’s youth for future employment. The program focuses on leveraging relationships with businesses and the community to provide meaningful, career oriented internships for participants.
THE GOAL: To improve neighborhood quality of life through a community engagement strategy that ensures children are safe, succeeding in school and supported by their community.
MYEP seeks to build partnerships with host employers in the private, public and non-profit sectors of Charlotte’s economy, who are able to provide one-of-a-kind career experiences for MYEP participants. Businesses provide career experiences that help youth develop career goals, stay in school, achieve academically and enhance social skills that enable them to succeed in life. Students connect to the world of work which also enables businesses and communities to know the needs and successes of the students and schools.
About Our Program:
MYEP participants are motivated high school students recommended to the Mayor’s Youth Employment Program (MYEP) by Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools (CMS) Career Development Counselors (CDC) who refers from the entire school and various community partners such as: Communities In Schools (CIS), Right Moves For Youth (RMFY), Goodwill Industries, and others. These organizations are committed to helping us find the appropriate youth for jobs. Students must be 16-18 years of age at the time of application.
*The application process for 2013 is now closed.
- The 2013 internship program begins June 17-August 9, 2013.
- Internships are generally eight-weeks (8) in duration (can be adjusted to fit employer’s needs).
- Students work 20 hours per week, at a minimum rate of $8.00 per hour.
- Student interns are monitored closely throughout the summer by the MYEP staff and referral partner liaisons.
- Interns and host employers attend a kick-off celebration at the launch of the internship. The 2013 MYEP Kick-off event will be held on June 14, 2013, at Time Warner Cable Arena.
- In some cases, our student interns are available to continue work for the host employer throughout the school year.
Applying students must:
- Have a valid current North Carolina picture ID and a Social Security Card
- Demonstrate work experience or participation in extracurricular activities
- Compose a 500 word essay detailing why they want to participate in the MYEP
- Obtain two professional letters of recommendation
- Complete a MYEP intern interview
- Successfully pass a drug screening and background check
Once students are accepted into the program, they must:
- Complete two hours attendance at one of three MYEP Career Discovery Days events
- Complete six hours of soft skills training consisting of two hours of customer service, two hours of financial literacy, and two hours of job readiness courses (Courses will be provided by MYEP in partnership with Goodwill Industries)
As a participant in MYEP, students will receive job mentoring, coaching and valuable hands-on experience with one of our business partners*. MYEP participants will receive a certificate of completion from the Mayor and a MYEP Skills Certification pin upon successful completion of all training.
*Business partner placement is subject to position availability.
Become a Host Employer