Six of Charlotte's most significant older neighborhoods have been designated by City Council as Local Historic Districts, in recognition of their importance in the history and character of the city. The twelve member Historic District Commission and its staff work with property owners and businesses in the districts to assure that development and renovation occurs in a manner that is consistent with the character of the neighborhood.
Charlotte Historic District Interactive Map
The Charlotte Historic District map is an interactive program that allows users to view descriptions of applications for Certificates of Appropriateness which are highlighted on the District maps in bold color. You can search by street address, parcel ID, application number or by clicking on the parcel. If there are multiple projects per parcel, you will be able to advance through each description by clicking on the arrow at the top right of the pop-up box. If you need further assistance there is a help icon on the application.
Policy and Design Guidelines Request for Proposals
- Responses to RFP Questions
Charlotte Route 4 Survey Report
Charlotte's Local Historic Districts Map
Dilworth (Designated 1983, 1992)
Map of Dilworth's Historic District
Since its inception in the 1890's, Dilworth has been one of Charlotte's most distinct neighborhoods. Developed as the city's first suburb, Dilworth was connected to downtown by Charlotte's first electric streetcar. The success of the initial development of Dilworth led its creator, Edward Dilworth Latta, to expand the neighborhood in the 1910's, under a plan by the Olmstead Brothers, then the nation's preeminent landscape designers.
Although their plan was never fully implemented, the Olmstead's curved roads and dramatic landscaping set the tone for much of Charlotte's future character. In 1987, Dilworth was listed on the
National Register of Historic Places.
Fourth Ward (Designated 1976)
Map of Fourth Ward's Historic District
In the 1850's, Fourth Ward was a prosperous residential area, convenient to downtown businesses and shops. As residential development shifted to the suburbs with the opening of Dilworth in the late nineteenth century, all of Charlotte's original residential wards would see an eventual decline. By the 1970's, many of Fourth Ward's Victorian homes had been demolished or converted to boarding houses and offices. Through the combined efforts of civic and community leaders, Fourth Ward underwent a dramatic revitalization in the 1970's.
Plaza-Midwood (Designated 1992)
Map of Plaza-Midwood's Historic District
Developed in the 1910's and 1920's, Plaza-Midwood is the product of several different developments undertaken by various interests. These early small neighborhoods grew together over the years to become today's Plaza-Midwood.
Fluctuating economic conditions during the area's growth and the differing visions of the many developers involved came together to create the most eclectic of Charlotte's local historic districts. The Plaza-Midwood Local Historic District came about as a result of efforts of neighborhood residents, and its designation created the model for the designation process today.
Wesley Heights (Designated 1994)
Map of Wesley Height's Historic District
Charlotte's only Local Historic District located on the Westside, Wesley Heights retains an amazing degree of its original character.
The neighborhood was developed primarily in the 1920's, and involved some of the same interests responsible for the creation of Elizabeth. Wesley Heights has survived some dramatic changes in its history, and yet still appears much like it did when it was served by Charlotte's streetcar system. The neighborhood's Bungalow style homes and tree canopied streets compliment the involvement of Wesley Height's residents, whose efforts led to the listing of the area on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994
Hermitage Court (Designated 2006)
Map of Hermitage Court's Historic District
In 1911, a new suburban development was announced, to be built on the on the southern edge of Charlotte . This new subdivision, carved out of a cotton farm long owned by the Myers family, became Myers Park, one of Charlotte 's best known and most desirable subdivisions.
The layout of Myers Park was designed by John Nolen, one of the most notable landscape architects and urban designers of his day. Following Nolen's vision of a new town in a forest, The Stephens Company, a family business of the Myers family, developed the overwhelming majority of Myers Park . There were, however, a few small sections that were developed by other interests under the umbrella of the Stephens Company, and within the overall plan conceived by Nolen and his protégé, Earle Sumner Draper.
Hermitage Court was one of these small areas, and was developed by Charlotte builder F. M. Simmons. Simmons was responsible for the stone gateways that flank each end of this section of Hermitage Court. He also built for himself the house at 625 Hermitage Court. This grand Colonial Revival style house, completed in 1913, is one of the oldest existing homes in Myers Park.
A 1914 survey map shows the original street and lot layout for Myers Park , and includes Hermitage Court stretching from Simmon's home east to Providence Road. With the exception of two later multi-family projects, the homes along Hermitage Court were all constructed between 1913 and 1925, and include some of the oldest homes in the neighborhood. The architecture of Hermitage Court is an eclectic mix of Bungalow style houses interspersed with examples of several of the revival styles that were popular in the early 20th Century, including Colonial and Tudor revival homes. Almost a century later, the overwhelming majority of the houses retain their original architectural character.
Wilmore Local Historic District (Designated 2006)
Map of Wilmore Local Historic District
Wilmore, located to the southwest of downtown Charlotte, was developed as a streetcar suburb in the early years of the 20th Century. Wilmore mirrors the single family bungalows and wide curvilinear streets and sidewalks of Dilworth, and shared the streetcar line from the center of town with this sister neighborhood.
The early history of the area that became the Wilmore area included its long use as farmland. It also contained parts of Blandville, one of several African-American villages that lay just outside the town of Charlotte. The Rudisill Gold Mine, one of the most productive of the mines that fueled the country’s first gold rush in and around Charlotte.
In 1906, developer F. C. Abbot and the Southern Realty Company purchased the land that would become Wilmore from several owners. Abbot combined the names of two of those former owners, the Wilson and Moore families, to create the name “Wilmore for the new planned suburb just south of the rapidly growing town of Charlotte.
Wilmore contains a wide range of styles and materials in its buildings, with the majority exhibiting the low overhanging roofs, full-width front porches and craftsman details typical of the Bungalow style. Although it is primarily a single family neighborhood, Wilmore is also home to numerous duplexes, apartment buildings and churches, as well as commercial and industrial buildings.