City of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County offices will be open for business during the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, September 3-6. In some cases, however, hours and availability of certain facilities and services have been modified.
- All City and County offices will be closed on Monday, September 3, in observance of the Labor Day holiday.
- The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Government Center (600 East 4th Street) will be open to the public (lobby level only) and maintain normal operating hours (7 a.m. - 6 p.m.) during convention week.
- The water bill payment counter in the Government Center will be open 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Showmars will be open September 4 - 7 from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Old City Hall (Neighborhood & Business Services and Community Relations) will close to the public September 4 and reopen September 7.
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police (CMPD) Headquarters will close to the public September 1 and reopen September 7. Online crime reporting and other online services will be available.
- Bob Walton Plaza (Office of the Tax Assessor) (700 East Stonewall Street) will be open during convention week. The only entry and exit for parking will be off Stonewall Street, next to Actor's Theatre.
- Hal Marshall Services Center (Code Enforcement & Business Tax Offices) (700 North Tryon Street) will be open during convention week. Customers and visitors may enter the main building parking lot via Phifer Street only, and to the annex lot from College Street nearest to 11th Street.
Most meetings whose regular meeting times fall during convention week have either been rescheduled or moved to a more convenient location. Please refer to the public meeting calendar for dates, times and locations.
The Government Center parking deck on Davidson Street will be closed September 1-6. All vehicles must be removed by 11:59 p.m. August 31 or they will be towed at the owner's expense. Customers needing to visit the Government Center, Courthouse or other government buildings September 1-6 may park at the County parking deck, located at the corner of 5th and McDowell Streets. All visitors must enter via Elizabeth Street.
Extended hours from 7 a.m. to 1 a.m. August 31 through September 6.
American Legion Memorial Stadium and Grady Cole Center
Closed August 31 - September 7
Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS)
CATS' hours will not change during the convention.
|Passes & information
|| Transit ID/Lost & Found
||CATS Customer Service Call Center
|Temporary Transit Center
(S. Mint and 3rd St.)
|Permanent Transit Center (310 East Trade St.)
5:30 a.m. - 9:30 p.m.
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
6 a.m. - 10 p.m.
5 a.m. - 1:30 a.m.
|Starting September 7
5 a.m. - 1:30 a.m.
CATS will provide signage in the temporary transit center indicating where routes will stop to deboard and pick up passengers. Routes will share several bays on the same side of the road and will always use those sets of bays.
The LYNX Blue Line will run from the I-485/South Blvd. station to the Stonewall Station September 3-5. On those days, passengers needing bus connections will deboard at Carson Station. Starting September 6, LYNX will run to the 7th Street Station as normal.
| Orange Line
||6:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
| 6:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.
| 9 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
| Red Line
|| 6:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
| 6:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
| 6:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
The City Clerk's Office will be open and available to the fullest extent possible. The Civil Service Board Meeting, regularly scheduled for 4 p.m. the first Tuesday of each month, will relocate to the Harris Conference Center at 3216 CPCC Harris Campus Drive (formerly CPCC West Campus Drive), Charlotte, NC 28208
Human Resources (City and County)
(700 East 4th Street
) will not take walk-in applications September 4-6. Applications will be accepted all week via the City and County HR websites.
Mecklenburg County Courts
The Clerk of Superior Court and the Trial Court Administrator's Office will be open for business as normal; however, courts will operate on a limited basis.
Mecklenburg County Aquatic Center
Closed August 26 through September 7 for annual maintenance. Reopens September 8 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Mecklenburg County Park & Recreation
|Not available for reservations during this time
||Normal operating schedule;
accepting field and shelter reservations
|9th Street Park
Alexander Street Park
Fourth Ward Park
Pearle Street Park
| All other County parks
Neighborhood & Business Services and Community Relations Office
Because Old City Hall will be closed September 4-6, offices will be operational at an alternate location. The offices will return to Old City Hall on September 7.
Ray's Splash Planet will be closed Saturday, September 2 and Thursday, September 6 and will operate on holiday hours Monday, September 3 (10 a.m. - 6 p.m.).
Solid Waste Services
For the week of September 3-7, collection services will operate as follows:
- Residential garbage and recycling collection services will operate according to the regular schedule.
- Yard waste and bulky item collection services will be suspended
- All garbage and recycling collections for locations inside the vehicle-restricted areas will occur on their regularly scheduled day between the hours of 12:01 a.m. and 6 a.m. This includes locates serviced by the City and private haulers.
Water bill payment locations
- The billpay counter at the Government Center and West Area Service Center will be open 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Drop boxes (Government Center) are open
- Drop box (Old City Hall) is closed
- The public is encouraged to use the West Area Service Center or any of the more than 125 authorized bill payment locations throughout Mecklenburg County. Click here for more information.
Visit MecklenburgCountyNC.gov for more information about County services and hours during the DNC.