In a Hurricane Watch situation the most important thing is to BE AWARE. Listen to the radio, television or to a weather radio for updates and information.
Following are some tips for being prepared for a Hurricane. You may also want to study the safety tips for Flooding as well.
- Keep your yard clear of all loose objects. Tie down or move objects inside.
- Keep a portable radio and a flashlight with extra batteries handy. Listen to the local radio or TV for information.
- If you own a boat, make sure it is moored properly. If it is on a trailer, secure the trailer via tie downs such as used on gym sets, etc.
- Store a three-day supply of drinking water
- Keep a well stocked first aid kit handy.
- Plan an evacuation route just in case you are requested to vacate the area. Plan two alternative routes.
- Your evacuation kit should include medications, baby items, important papers, extra clothing, blankets or sleeping bags, toys/games for children and other essential personal items.
- If you are advised to evacuate, do so immediately.
- Make sure your pets are cared for, but DO NOT take pets with you to a shelter.
- Do not enter the storm area unless you are authorized by local officials.
- Keep the family vehicle gassed - top off the tank.
- Follow the instruction given by local officials. Stay tuned to local radio or television stations for information and directions on shelter locations and other safe areas.
Return to Be Prepared