Be cautious of suspicious packages and mail. Here are some of the warning signs to look for:
- Packages or letters that have no return address, inappropriate or unusual labeling
- Excessive postage
- Handwritten or poorly typed addresses
- Misspellings of common words
- Incorrect titles or title without a name
- Not addressed to a specific person
- Marked with restricts, such as "Personal," "Confidential," or Do Not X-Ray."
- Marked with threatening language
- Postmarked from a city or state that does not match the return address
- Soiled or stained packages
- Strong odors emitting from packages or letters
- Powdery substance felt through or appearing on the package or envelope
- Lopsided or uneven envelope
- Excessive packaging material, such as masking tape, string, etc.
- Excessive weight
- Ticking sound
- Protruding wires or aluminum foil.
If a package or envelope appears suspicious, DO NOT OPEN IT, CALL 911.
Return to Be Prepared