How Do I ...
Online Services
Public Records
Vehicle Tax
Frequently Asked Questions
Filing An Appeal
Military Exemptions

Military Exceptions

As of January 1, 1974, military personnel on active duty are not exempt from listing any unregistered vehicles and paying personal property taxes in the North Carolina county in which their property is located. All vehicles, trailers, etc. not registered on January 1 of each year must be listed with the tax office. All registered vehicles will automatically be billed three months after renewal of a tag or issue of a new tag. In accordance with North Carolina General Statutes and Federal Law, all military personnel on active duty must pay to the state of their respective homes of record.
If you receive a bill for North Carolina vehicle taxes and your home of record is a state other than North Carolina, please return the bill notice with a copy of your Leave and Earnings Statement which covers the period in which your tag was purchased or renewed so that the bill may be voided.
If your home of record is in North Carolina and Mecklenburg County, regardless of where you are stationed, then your taxes are due and payable according to the instructions on your bill.
If you have further questions, please call us our Customer Service Center at 704-336-4600.

Printed from: