A summary of decisions made by the Mecklenburg Board of County Commissioners.
PROCLAMATIONS AND AWARDS: The Board of County Commissioners recognized eleven Health Department programs for receiving 2006 National Association of Counties Achievement Awards. The programs are:
- A collaborative and new way to win the war against clandestine methamphetamine.
- After-school enrichment program
- Asthma education initiative
- Five-A-Day-Live school play video/DVD
- HIV outreach and testing incentive program
- Health Department response to Hurricane Katrina
- Matthews Elementary School disease outbreak, May 2005
- Rapid health needs assessment of Hurricane Katrina evacuees
- Safe well ordinance
- School health staff development program
- Teen tobacco use prevention at the racetrack
The Board also proclaimed August 25 "Men Taking Children to School on Their First Day;" proclaimed August 23 as Women's Equality Day; proclaimed August 13 - 20 as "Homeless World Cup Soccer Week;" and adopted a proclamation supporting the use of four positive four-letter words - able, best, care and done.
PUBLIC APPEARANCE: The following people addressed the Board on items not on the agenda:
· Valerie McGill on the search for a cancer cure.
· Russell Alexander, Matthew Henderson, and Delgottio Falls on solutions to gang activity in Charlotte-Mecklenburg.
APPOINTMENTS: The Board made the following appointments:
- Emma Allen to the Citizen's Capital Budget Advisory Committee
- Michael Murdock as chairman of the Citizen's Capital Budget Advisory Committee
- William Hobbs to the Historic Landmarks Commission
- Liz Downing, Timothy Flanagan and William L. Fuller to the Public Broadcasting Authority
- Evelyn Hochstat, Joan C. Kirk, and Nancy Litaker to the Adult Care Home Advisory Board
- L. Marie Busteed, Carol J. Clem, Peggy McClain, JoAnne Jacquin, and Nikki Stamps to the Nursing Home Community Advisory Board
- Ray Fuentes, Kris Knudsen, Fletcher Roberts and Anthony Tindall to the Air Quality Commission
- Charles Watts to the Building Development Commission
- Elaine Powell to the Waste Management Advisory Board
CMS COPs AND CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM: The Board approved authorizing the issuance of $123.1 million in Certificates of Participation for 20 school construction projects. This funding is based on the recommendations of the School Building Solutions Committee and additional work done by members of the Board to identify six projects that would be evaluated for development using a lease/purchase method. This allowed the inclusion of two additional projects to the list developed by the School Building Solutions Committee, while issuing an amount of COPs that is nearly $50 million less than was recommended by the Committee, in consideration of this lease/purchase option because it provides only funding for preconstruction design of these six projects rather than the full construction costs.
NCACC VOTING DELEGATE: The Board selected Dumont Clarke as the voting delegate for the 2006 annual North Carolina Association of County Commissioners conference to be held September 7 - 10 in Forsythe County, N.C.
The next regular meeting of the Board of County Commissioners is scheduled for Wednesday, September 6 at 6 p.m. in the Meeting Chamber.