A summary of decisions made by the Mecklenburg Board of County Commissioners.
PROCLAMATIONS AND AWARDS:
The Board recognized the service of members of the 2004 - 2006 Board of County Commissioners, including presentation of service plaques, presentation of the gavel to former Chairman Parks Helms, and the induction into the Order of the Hornet of Wilhelmenia Rembert and Jim Puckett. The Board also proclaimed December 2006 as "So Much To See, So Much To Do @ Your Library Month."
The following people addressed the Board on items not on the agenda:
- Dave Cable of the Catawba Lands Conservancy thanked the Board for its work to preserve the environment and presented a plaque.
- Valerie McGill, Harvey Boyd and Juan Whipple on the Mecklenburg County seal.
- Martin Davis on domestic partner benefits, property taxes and illegal immigrants.
The Board appointed Victor Alexander to the Shelter for Battered Women Advisory Board; Scott Currie and Charles Rogers to the Waste Management Advisory Board.
The Board approved the following land acquisitions:
- The purchase of 0.13 acre at East Fifteenth Street for $22,000 from William C. Davis.
- A resolution of intent to exchange a 50' x 125' lot on Dawson Avenue for 7.34 acres along Stewart Creek.
- The purchase of 19.2 acres off Westmoreland Road in Cornelius for $1,567,000 from Westmoreland Athletic Complex. The Board authorized the County Manager to negotiate a lease with the Town of Cornelius for development and management of the site as an athletic complex.
The Board approved its meeting schedule for 2007. The Board holds its regular, televised meetings on the first and third Tuesday each month at 6 p.m., and a monthly workshop on the second Tuesday at 3 p.m. The schedule is available on this site.