(A summary of decisions made by the Mecklenburg Board of County Commissioners:)
The Board proclaimed January 21, 2008 as Martin Luther King Jr. Day in Mecklenburg County.
The following people addressed the board about issues of interest:
- Kenneth White, Niksa Greer, Katie Simmons, Gariann Yuchym and Blanch Penn spoke about the Sheriff appointment process.
The following people were appointed to County Advisory Boards and Committees:
- Harley Cook, William Griffin, Larry Irvin and Don Monteith were appointed to the Fire
- Ralph Roberts was appointed to the Groundwater Advisory Committee
- Edward Jernigan was appointed to the Transit Services Advisory Committee
- Ralph Boral was reappointed to the Information Services & Technology Committee
- Melinda Vinson was appointed to the Nursing Home Community Advisory Committee
- John Adams and Priscilla Bynum were appointed to the Personnel Commission
PARK LAND TRANSACTIONS
The Board approved purchasing seven tracts of land in the Third Ward of Charlotte’s center city for the Romare Bearden Park. The negotiated price for the assemblage is $18.9 million, the same as the price Brooklyn Village, LLC will pay for the Brooklyn Village parcels. This is part of the land transactions to develop a park in Third Ward and a park in Second Ward within the development of the new Brooklyn Village.
The Board also agreed to sell three parcels of land in what is now called Marshall Park in Second Ward to Brooklyn Village LLC for construction of a mixed-use development to be called Brooklyn Village.
BASEBALL STADIUM LEASE
The Board approved a long-term lease agreement with Knights Baseball for the operation of a baseball stadium on County land in Third Ward. The lease would be for 49 years at a cost of $1 per year. The Knights will be expected to build and operate the baseball stadium under terms of the lease with Mecklenburg County.