How Do I ...
Online Services
Public Records
General Info
Land Records
Addressing Information
Strategic Planning and Program Support
Technology Solutions
Information Correction
Online Services
GIS Data Center
Custom Map Shop

Land Records

What We Do

The Land Records division of Geospatial Information Services is responsible for maintaining ownership files and cadastral maps for all real estate in Mecklenburg County. The ownership record consists of the owner's(s') name(s), the situs address (the location of the property), the mailing address (where the tax bills are sent), and the legal description of the property. The cadastral maps are maintained digitally for assessment purposes and are available on the Internet as part of the county GIS. Information used for creating these records comes from legally recorded instruments.

Land Records Changes and Corrections

Every effort is made for accurate and timely maintenance of the ownership records. Because of the number of instruments involved, there is a natural time lag between when a document is filed and when it is reflected on the Internet. This time lag will vary depending on several factors including the type of transaction involved. You can view the metadata in order to see the currency of our records. Below is a list of common questions received concerning the Land Records Division.

  1. I need to change my mailing address.

    If you need to change the address to which your bill is mailed, you may call the Land Records office at (704) 336-6357 or fill out an Address Change Form.

  2. My name is misspelled on the Internet.

    If your name is misspelled, you may call the Land Records office at (704) 336-6357 or fill out a digital form. Your name must be spelled correctly on your deed in order for us to change it.

  3. My name has changed…

    (A) If you have changed your name through marriage, you must send or bring an official copy of your marriage certificate to our office.

    (B) If you had your name changed in court, you must send or bring an official copy of your document to our office.

    (C) If your company has changed names, you must send us an official copy (one with a seal) of the documentation that you filed with the State.

  4. The owner of a piece of property has died, and I need to change the ownership information.

    In the case of death, we need to see a copy of the Death Certificate and the will. These documents need to be official copies that have a seal. You may bring these documents to our office, mail them to us, or fax us the documents. Please include a short note describing the action you would like us to take with your requests.

  5. Correcting information presented in POLARIS

    Contact the Tax Department
  6. Database Attribute and Mapping Correction Form

    Contact the Tax Department

Our contact information

Mailing Address:

Land Records
700 N. Tryon St., 1st Floor
Charlotte, NC 28202

Phone:    704-336-6357
Fax:        704-336-7333

Printed from: