The Code Enforcement Department has developed a number of presentations and workshops for customers. Along with some of our traditional programs, such as Fire Safety, they provide an excellent opportunity for customers to familiarize themselves with process and code requirements and discuss related problems.
The following is a listing of available programs, along with approximate running time and responsible party. If you are interested in scheduling one, please contact either the appropriate Code Administrator, Rebecca Simcox (704-336-3838), or Jim Bartl (704-336-3827).
SEMINARS AND WORKSHOPS
Building - Code Administrator Lon McSwain
- Company specific Building code defects (90 min. - Jeff Griffin)
- Field application of the Building Code (time varies - Jeff Griffin)
Electrical - Code Administrator Joseph Weathers
- Shop specific Electrical code defects (60 min. - Joe Weathers, Angie Miller, Gary Mullis)
- Details on Electrical code compliance (60 min. - Joseph Weathers)
Mechanical/Plumbing - Code Administrator Willis Horton
Details on Mechanical/Plumbing code compliance and code changes (2-3 hrs. - Willis Horton, Bill Spidel)
- Shop Specific Mechanical/Plumbing code defects (2 hrs. - various staff, contact Willis Horton)
Fire - Fire Marshal Mark Auten
- Introduction to Fire and Life Safety (varies, 45 min. to 2 1/2 hr. )
- Means of Egress, selected issues (45 min. - Patrick Granson)
- Introduction to Zoning & the NC State Bldg. Code (2 1/2 hrs. - Kam Merrell & Jim Bartl)
- Building Material Selection; impacts from local and state codes (90 min. - Kam Merrell & Jim Bartl)
- Basics of the NC State Bldg. Code (75 min. - Jim Bartl)
- Codes, Regulations & Professional Responsibility (75 min. - Jim Bartl)
- Introduction to the NC Rehab Code Team (30 min. - Rehab Code Team)
- Introduction to Zoning in your Community (20 min. - presenter varies, contact Katrina Young at 704-336-2205.
- Significance of Preliminary Code Reviews in the Design process (25 min. - Jim Bartl)
- Engineering Preliminary Code Reviews (45 min. - P. Granson, G. Mullis, T. Smith, J. Bartl)
- Change in Architecture, Engineering and the Permitting Process (20 min. - Jim Bartl)
- Specification writing to support code compliance (30 min. - Jim Bartl)
- Introduction to the Permitting Process (time varies - Melanie Sellers)
Ideas for new programs are always welcome. Please refer requests to Geri Walton or Jim Bartl bearing in mind program development typically takes several weeks.