May 7, 2010
Financial Management Assessment Leads to Changes
Last fall we implemented an assessment of our financial management services. The goal was to ensure Mecklenburg County is effective and efficient in financial management and fiscal control. The assessment was conducted over several months under the direction of the County Manager's Office, involving dozens of employees including department directors and financial management staff.
The results of the intensive study include several initiatives that will change key reporting structures and introduce new financial management processes for the organization. These changes recognize and leverage the strengths of our current practices and introduce improvements in fiscal control and other financial management processes.
At its May 11 workshop, the Board will receive a presentation on the assessment findings as well as the changes approved by the County Manager including the following:
- Reorganizing and restructuring to manage key accounting functions under the direct supervision of the County Finance Department
- Designating senior financial managers in each department as the department's fiscal control compliance officer
- Changing reporting lines to have senior financial managers within departments report to the County's Finance Department, with shared accountability for department directors in fiscal control and financial stewardship
- Establishing a financial services support center managed by the Finance Department to advise and direct staff on proper accounting and other fiscal control compliance
- Consolidating all department/agency capital reserve needs/projects into one capital reserve process
The changes will be effective July 1, 2010. Some initiatives will require full implementation over two calendar years. A timeline of the key action steps will be included in the report provided to the Board for its May 11 workshop.
Board members with questions should contact General Manager John McGillicuddy via email
or at 704-336-2661.
FY 2011 Budget Schedule
- May 11, 3 p.m. - Budget/Public Policy Workshop (Room 267)
- May 18, 6 p.m. - Regular BOCC meeting (Meeting Chamber) - Manager's Recommended Budget
- May 25, 3 p.m. - Budget/Public Policy Workshop (Room 267)
- May 27, 6 p.m. - Budget Public Hearing (Meeting Chamber)
- June 3, 5 p.m. - Budget Workshop/Straw Voting (Room 267)
- June 7, 5 p.m. - Budget Workshop/Straw Voting (Room CH-14)
- June 8, 5 p.m. - Budget Workshop/Straw Voting (Room 267)
- June 15, 6 p.m. - Regular BOCC meeting (Meeting Chamber) - Board adopts FY 2011 Budget
- Harry L. Jones, Sr., County Manager