THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELED
The "Hackathon" is a free event open to anyone with an idea or an interest in contributing to tools that can better connect residents with government information and services. Whether focused on traffic, trash pickup, community events or neighborhood statistics, the possibilities are endless. Prizes, provided by event sponsors, will be awarded to the teams that come up with the best idea and have the best elevator pitch. NOTE: Prototypes/mockups do not need to function but does need to visually represent your idea.
Not a programmer? Don’t know web coding? No problem! This hackathon is open to everyone with a great idea, aesthetically pleasing prototype/mockup, and engaging presentation!
Modeled after successful civic hackathons staged in other counties, this first competition emphasizes both creativity and agility. Teams are expected to come up with an idea that
- solves a problem on a mass scale for Mecklenburg County residents and friends,
- meets a need on a mass scale for Mecklenburg County residents and friends, or
- showcases Mecklenburg County as a great place to live, work, and recreate.
Teams can have between 1 and 5 members. Teams will come up with an idea, develop a prototype/mockup, and create a PowerPoint presentation that helps them explain and demonstrate
- the purpose of their application idea,
- who the application would benefit and how,
- how they came up with the idea,
- what data sources the application would use, ando what the application would look like
- The application developed must leverage only the data provided by Mecklenburg County and any additional open data sources.
- All participants must be registered for the hackathon by November 1st and agree to the contest Terms and Conditions
- Teams can include up to 5 individuals
- The application idea must leverage only the data provided by Mecklenburg County and any additional open data sources.
- Additional open data sources must be identified when submitting the presentation
- Submissions must be submitted by 11:59pm on November 18th
- All decisions regarding the winner are final and binding in all matters relating to this contest
- All participants must be registered by November 17th and agree to the contest Terms and Conditions
- Your team, application idea, and presentation will be judged on 5 criteria
- Will your application have a positive impact on Mecklenburg County residents, businesses, and/or visitors?
- Does the application leverage Mecklenburg County datasets or other open source data?
- Does the application provide an innovative or creative approach to an idea?
- Can the application be used on multiple devices?
Registration Ends: November 17th at 11:59p
Presentations Due: November 18th at 11:59pm
Idea Presentations & Judging: November 20th 1:30pm to 3:30pm