The Health Department and the NC Division of Public Health are asking all medical providers to take a more proactive approach to diagnosing and treating syphilis. Please consider the following management and reporting laws:
- When evaluating a patient with a suspected case of syphilis or other STD, complete a full history and physical to evaluate for signs and symptoms, including oral and anal exams.
- Report all early cases of syphilis within 24 hours to the Health Department at 704-432-1742. The information required can be found on the Reporting Form.
- Proactively treat cases and/or partners and other high-risk individuals if symptoms are present. Do not wait for confirmatory test results.
- Treat with 2.4 million units of penicillin G benzathine (Bicillin L-A) if the patient is not allergic to penicillin.
- Pregnant women who are allergic to Bicillin L-A should be desensitized and treated with penicillin.
- If you test for HIV, test for syphilis.
- If you test for any STD, test for syphilis.