The Core is a youth-led council that gives young people the opportunity to support nutrition and physical activity initiatives outlined in the Healthy Weight Healthy Child Initiative’s, The Blueprint for a Healthier Generation 2020
We're now accepting applications for The Core. The application deadline is June 1, 2012 - download application now
The Core Activities
- Participate in 1-2 youth-led monthly meetings.
- Develop an action plan to support nutrition and physical activity goals specific to youth from The Blueprint for a Healthier Generation 2020.
- Plan and carry out yearly initiatives around relevant activities and education in Mecklenburg County.
- Help communicate on nutrition or physical activity issues.
- Develop and distribute resources and materials to promote youth empowerment and other special topics.
- Assist with statewide North Carolina Youth Food Policy Council events and activities.
- Serve as youth member on various boards including: Charlotte-Mecklenburg Food Policy Council, Bicycle Advisory Council, Greenway Advisory Council, etc.
The Core Current Projects
The Core is currently working with Madison Park to revitalize the vacant lot adjacent to Pinewood Elementary by installing walking trails and school gardens.