[Video] Celebrating 1 Year Smoke-Free Dining
The Mecklenburg County Health Department, in partnership with Smoke Free Mecklenburg, celebrated the one year anniversary of the smoke-free air law for restaurants and bars in North Carolina. The event honored members of the community who have been Tobacco-Free Champions throughout the last year.
Dr. Mabry, Health Director, congratulated everyone in the room for their continued work to bring clean air to Mecklenburg County and reminded that there is no safe level of secondhand smoke. County Commission Chair Jennifer Roberts also spoke about expanding the law to make public parks smoke-free. The event highlighted the efforts of so many in our community who are committed to living healthy, smoke-free lives.
Tobacco Free Champion Award Winners
[Video] Awards Ceremony
- Environmental Health was recognized for their efforts to enforce the new law at Mecklenburg Counties 3,000+ restaurants and bars
- Barrington Place Apartments was recognized for developing and implementing a smoke free policy for all of their housing units
- Central Piedmont Community College was recognized for adopting a tobacco-free policy for all of their school grounds
- TRU Youth Advisory Board, a group of high school teens, was recognized for their efforts in supporting the law and advocating for smoke-free policies within the community
- Jackalope Jacks, a restaurant in the Elizabeth neighborhood, was recognized for it’s support of the new law and for enacting a policy that banned smoking within 20 feet of the entrance
- Jon Wilson, producer of Wilson’s World on Fox News Rising, was recognized for his tireless efforts to positively support the smoking ban in restaurants and bars in multiple media outlets.