The holidays are nearly upon us and nothing signifies the holiday season more than our favorite foods. A gathering of family and friends does not have to mean over-indulgence. You can enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving without denying yourself or your guests the pleasures of the Thanksgiving feast. So help yourself to some turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy; eat plenty of vegetables, and by all means cut yourself a slice of pumpkin pie. Simply remember to consume reasonable portions and eat slowly while enjoying the company of friends and family. Fit City Challenge offers the following tips to make your Thanksgiving a healthier one.
Healthy Cooking Tips
Turkey , dressing, sweet potatoes, and pie. A traditional Thanksgiving meal can have more than 2000 calories and 100 grams of fat! Try these simple tips to make your meal healthy without sacrificing the taste.
- Don't stuff the turkey with the dressing, it absorbs much of the fat. Bake it in a covered casserole instead.
- Sauté onions and celery in a small amount of butter/margarine, i.e., 1 teaspoon. Use chicken or turkey broth for additional moisture.
- To keep your turkey moist without all the fat, cook it in a browning bag.
- Fill your stuffing with low calorie things like onions, celery, and poultry seasoning.
- Make your sweet potatoes using egg whites or frozen egg substitute instead of whole eggs.
... more easy tips