In addition, the YRBSS monitors general health status and the prevalence of overweight and asthma. YRBSS includes a national school-based survey conducted by CDC and state and local school-based surveys conducted by state and local education and health agencies.
This is the first time that Charlotte has participated in the survey. Local students were pulled from the class rosters of 20 CMS High Schools and conducted among students in grades 9--12 during October 2004--January 2006.
Consider the following results from our community:
- 12.1% of students attempted suicide during the past year.
- 11.9% of girls had been physically forced to have sexual intercourse when they did not want to (as did 5.4% of boys).
- 25.2% of students rode in a vehicle driven by someone who had been drinking alcohol during the past 30 days.
- 21.2% had their first drink of alcohol (other than a few sips) before age 13.
- 10.6% had sexual intercourse for the first time before age 13.
- 6.7% of girls had vomited or taken laxatives to lose weight or keep from gaining weight during the past 30 days (as did 3.6% of boys).
You may review the complete YRBSS results at