Gardens can boost morale - consider one for your worksite.
5 Steps to Create a Company Community Garden
- Send out questionnaire to employees to see if there is an interest in creating a company garden.
- Create a garden committee to oversee installation and maintenance of garden.
- Find a location on the property that is sunny most of the day with access to water.
- Receive approval to use that space for a garden.
- If you are located in Mecklenburg County, contact your Working Toward Wellness Representative to find resources for discounted compost soil, seeds, planting tips and tilling.
5 Steps to Creating a Container Garden
Gardening in the Workplace: Adopt-a-Spot
- Designate specific outdoor planters as Container Gardens.
- Find employees that have an interest in gardening.
- Each interested employee should be assigned their own container or designated section to plant, maintain and harvest.
- Ask employees to bring in soil, seeds or plants to put into containers or Company may want to provide potting soil.
- Participants should be aware that if their container is not maintained it will be forfeited.
|Easy to grow container plants:
- Patio Tomatoes
- Peppers – Bell or Habanera
Create competition between employees or departments by creating “Adopt-a-spot” areas. These areas may include flowers as well as produce and herbs to beautify the outdoor environment. Gardening is a wonderful team building exercise and helps improve employee moral by giving them a place of expression and ownership in their work environment. This is a great place to utilize edible landscaping