Minimum Nutrition Standards for Vending Machine Beverages and Snacks
50% of beverages offered in each vending machine shall be one or a combination of the following:
- Water and flavored water
- Non-fat or 1% low fat milk, flavored or unflavored
- 100% fruit/vegetable juice
- Tea, regular and herb, hot or cold; unsweetened
- All other non-caloric beverages, including diet sodas
- With product availability, beverages shall be no greater than 12 ounces, except for water, with a preference for juices in 6-8 ounce portions.
- Advertising on vending machines shall include advertising only of beverages that meet the nutrition standards.
- 50% of snacks/foods offered in each vending machine shall meet the following criteria:
- < 200 calories per snack
- < 35% total calories from fat, excluding nuts and seeds
- < 7% total calories from saturated fat
- Zero trans fat (< 0.5 g per serving)
- < 480 mg of sodium
- < 35% calories from total sugars with the exception of:
- Fruits and vegetables without added sugar
- Unflavored non-fat and low-fat yogurt
- Flavored non-fat and low-fat yogurt with no more than 30 grams of total sugars per 8-ounce serving.
- Item selection should prioritize whole grains, fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy and nuts and seeds.
- Advertising on vending machines shall include advertising only of foods that meet the nutrition standards.
- Pricing on foods that meet the nutrition standards should be kept as close as possible to the price of foods that do not meet the standards
A Working Toward Wellness Representative will be available to consult with vendors on item placement in machines, healthy item identification strategies and consumer outreach and education