Tobacco use is the number one cause of preventable deaths in the United States. Tobacco use is costly to employers both in terms of smoking-related medical expenses and lost productivity.
Take a lead in promoting the NC Quitline 1-800-784-8669.
The NC Tobacco Use Quitline is a convenient, confidential and free phone service available to North Carolinians to help them quit using tobacco.
It really works! Tobacco users get the help that fits their needs. People who use the Quitline are twice as likely to quit for good.
- Quitline is open from 8:00 am until 3 a.m., seven days a week.
- Services are available to all North Carolinians, youth and adult.
- Expert Quit Coaches can make up to three follow-up calls to you.
- English, Spanish and other languages are available.
- All calls are free and confidential.
What the QuitLine Can Do
- Help identify what triggers tobacco users to smoke, dip or chew.
- Help tobacco users think of activities other than using tobacco.
- Talk about what hasn't worked and new things tobacco users can try.
- Discuss medications that can help tobacco users quit.
- Direct tobacco users to helpful websites.
- Follow-up by request to support efforts and check on progress: A Quit Coach can call back upon request.
Ways Employers Can Promote
Here are some ideas on promoting this free service to your employees:
- Give Quitline materials such as brochures and business cards to employees.
- Put up Quitline posters around facility or in breakrooms.
- Talk about the benefits of using Quitline during lunch and learns
- Post Quitline information on company intranet
- Share success stories of people who have successfully quit tobacco-use using the Quitline