October 16, 2002
HELP PROVIDE THANKSGIVING DINNER FOR A DSS FAMILY
Charlotte, NC -- You can share the bounty of the Thanksgiving holiday with a family in need.
The Mecklenburg County Department of Social Services (DSS) will match interested individuals or groups who want to provide the makings of a Thanksgiving holiday meal to a family identified as needing help by a social worker.
The DSS Community Resources Office (CRO) sponsors the annual Thanksgiving Sponsorship program that matches people who want to give with people who can benefit.
Here's how it works:
· An individual or group agrees to provide and deliver to the client home the ingredients necessary for a family to prepare their own holiday meal.
· The sponsor chooses a family based on the number in a home, etc.
· The CRO then matches the sponsor with that family.
· The sponsor works through the Human Services professional who referred the family to work out details such as special dietary needs, delivery date and time, etc.
· All matches are generally completed by mid-November with all deliveries completed by the Monday prior to Thanksgiving.
Interested sponsors should call the DSS Community Resources Office at 704-336-4809.
# # #
Media contact: Suzanne Jeffries at 704-353-0774 or