October 18, 2002
COUNTY OFFERS RESOURCES FOR SPOOKTACULAR STORIES
Charlotte, NC – Halloween is approaching fast, and you may be looking for unique story ideas. The Mecklenburg County Public Service and Information Department has numerous resources for Halloween stories and encourages reporters, editors and producers to take advantage of them.
· Fun, Not Fright: Area Mental Health Authority offers suggestions for helping children enjoy Halloween such as: Be aware of any costumes or characters that your child ordinarily fears (for example, some small children are afraid of clowns) and explain to them that this is just a "dress-up" version.
· Costume Safety: Mecklenburg County Cooperative Extension offers tips and suggestions for safe costumes and trick-or-treating.
· Healthy Eats: The Health Department has suggestions for healthy Halloween party food, plus tips for handling hot and cold food to prevent food-borne illness.
· Looking For a Party? Park and Recreation Department has a wide variety of activities scheduled for children and adults.
· Scary Stuff at the Library: The Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County has several mystery book clubs that meet throughout the year. The Library will also host a variety of events and fall festivals throughout October and November.
· Use Less Stuff: Solid Waste Management encourages residents to reduce waste during Halloween and has suggestions for recycling costumes, Jack-o-lanterns and decorations.
# # #
Media Contact: Alex Burnett (O) 704-432-0361 (M) 704-579-0288 or