Aug. 27, 2002
Novello Festival Press seeks new submissions
CHARLOTTE, NC - - Novello Festival Press, the publishing venture sponsored by the Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg County (PLCMC), has issued the 2002-2003 "Call for Submissions" for its new book, which will highlight the food and people of the Carolinas. The book is scheduled for a Fall 2003 release.
"There is a tremendous diversity among Carolinians, and this book will celebrate the food and culture of our region," says Novello Festival Press editor Amy Rogers, who is in charge of the book. "We hope to compile not only recipes, but the stories of how those recipes have been handed down and evolved."
Doug Marlette, Jerry Bledsoe, Lee Smith and other well-known regional writers will contribute recipes and stories. Novello Festival Press is seeking 100-200 additional contributions from the public. Here are the submission guidelines:
1. Contributors must be age 18 or over and a current or former resident of North or South Carolina.
2. Contributors may submit up to three recipes for main dishes, side dishes, appetizers, desserts, fruits/vegetables, baked goods, beverages or any combination.
3. For each recipe, contributors must tell in 200 words or fewer the story about the recipe: where it came from, who cooked it, and why it's special to the contributor. Only original recipes; no copyrighted recipes, such as those from cookbooks (unless the contributor is the recipe's author
and owns the rights).
4. A one-page cover letter should accompany the submission, with the contributor's name, address, telephone number and brief bio. Submissions from previously unpublished writers are welcome.
5. No materials will be returned. Contributors should not send original recipe cards, photographs or other materials.
6. Every author whose submission is selected will be required to grant permission for PLCMC to edit and print his or her recipe, accompanying story and identifying hometown.
7. Submissions must be postmarked by Dec. 1, 2002. None postmarked after that date will be considered. There is no fee to enter; contributors whose recipes are selected will receive a copy of the book. Proceeds benefit the Public Library.
Send submissions to: Novello Festival Press Food Book, PLCMC, 310 N. Tryon St., Charlotte, NC 28202. For more information, call (704) 432-0153 or visit