March 26, 2003
BE A BUNNY! PROGRAM SEEKS VOLUNTEERS TO PROVIDE BASKETS TO CHILDREN IN NEED
Charlotte, NC -- You can provide a basket for a child who otherwise would not receive a treat for the holiday. The "Be a Bunny" program is again looking for people to donate baskets for children.
The Mecklenburg County Department of Social Services (DSS) continues a more than 20-year-old tradition this month with its program called, "Be a Bunny." The DSS Community Resources Office (CRO) will collect Bunny Baskets on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. through Friday, April 11. The baskets should be delivered to DSS at the Wallace Kuralt Centre, 301 Billingsley Road in Charlotte. They will be distributed by social workers to the children of DSS clients.
Ideas for what to put inside the baskets include Jellybeans, malted milk candy eggs, a chocolate candy rabbit, and a small toy.
Last year the program collected 1,915 baskets for children, said Polly Needham, CRO administrator. This year, Needham said, the goal is to collect and deliver at least 2,000 baskets.
If you, your family, church, business or civic group is interested in participating, please call 704-336-4809 to sign up. You can put a basket together or purchase one already made.
Here's what you need to know about guidelines for filling a basket:
- Candies and other goodies must be individually wrapped, or in a small closed package. Jellybeans are the exception.
- Baked goods must be from a health-approved facility.
- Manufactured products (Little Debbie, etc.) are fine, but home-baked goods are not allowed by the Department of Public Health.
- Stuffed animals, small toys/games, books, etc. are welcome additions.
- Any size basket is welcome; the recipient children range from toddlers to teens. There is usually a shortage of baskets for older children.
Baskets must be wrapped in some manner to avoid loss of contents during handling and deliveries. The large decorative cello-bags are ideal; traditional cellophane wrap and the newer colored cling wraps are also fine if openings are sealed.
Please attach a tag to each basket indicating the appropriate age range and gender. Secure tags to the baskets in a manner that can be removed by the workers.