October 28, 2003
TIME TO APPLY FOR HELP WITH HEATING COST
CHARLOTTE, NC -- The two-week application period for the North Carolina Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) is set for Nov. 3 - 14, 2003 in Mecklenburg County.
LIEAP gives eligible families a one-time cash payment to help pay their heating costs. Some households receiving food stamps as of Sept. 30, will be automatically eligible for LIEAP. In early February, all eligible households receive a check in the mail. Eligible families must meet all of the following:
· Household must meet an income test
· Household must be responsible for its heating bills
· Household cannot have assets over $2,200
· Household must include a U.S. citizen or an eligible alien
Two sites in Mecklenburg County will accept LIEAP applications. Weekdays from 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. from Nov. 3 - 14, applicants should visit the Community Services Center at 500 Spratt Street in Charlotte (next door to Crisis Assistance Ministry). The Center has one Saturday application day from 9 a.m. to noon on Nov. 8.
In northern Mecklenburg County, applications will be taken two days at the Ada Jenkins Community Center at 212 Gamble Street in Davidson. The application dates and times are Nov. 5, and Nov. 12, from noon to 4 p.m. For directions, call the center at 704-892-5790.
Seniors or disabled adults may send a representative to apply for them, or call the Mecklenburg County Department of Social Services LIEAP Hotline for assistance at 704-353-1336. Persons interested in applying for the help should bring the following information:
· Information about your household's income. Bring all wage stubs for the month of October for all household members that are employed
· Information about your household's savings accounts and checking accounts
· Information about your household's property, stocks, bonds, and other assets (the value of your motor vehicles and your home will not be considered)
· Name, date of birth, and Social Security numbers for each household member
For more information, call the LIEAP Hotline at 704-353-1336.