January 10, 2002
32nd ANNUAL TREE SEEDLING SALE;
AND - NEW THIS YEAR - RAIN BARRELS
Charlotte, NC - Mecklenburg County residents are known to appreciate the benefit and need for trees in a rapidly developing region. That's why the Mecklenburg Soil and Water Conservation District and Charlotte Storm Water Services are teaming up to offer a variety of tree seedlings and reduced-price rain barrels for sale.
· Saturday, January 25, 2003
· 9 a.m. - noon
· Hal Marshall County Services Center, 700 North Tryon Street, Charlotte.
Hardwood seedlings will sell for $1.00 apiece and include flowering dogwood, black walnut, white oak, willow oak, northern red oak, persimmon, river birch, and green ash. Pine seedlings will sell for $5.00 for a bundle of ten and include longleaf pine, white pine, and loblolly pine.
Thirty-gallon rain barrels sell for $50 and 55-gallon rain barrels sell for $60. Rain barrels must be pre-ordered by calling 704-336-2455. As drought conditions continue in the Piedmont and the potential for future water restrictions looms, rain barrels are ideal for plant watering.
Planting a tree can be a great family activity that will bring a sense of pride and pleasure for years to come. Did you know?:
· Shade trees planted on the southwest side of your home can reduce the cost of air conditioning 5-10%?
· Evergreen trees planted on the north and east sides serve as a wind block and can reduce heating costs in the winter?
· Planting trees on your property can increase real estate values 5-15%?
The Mecklenburg Soil and Water Conservation District is a local organization working with residents, agencies, and business owners to plan and direct programs for the conservation and development of natural resources. For more information on the Mecklenburg Soil and Water Conservation District, check the Web site
www.mecklenburgconservation.com or call 704-336-2455.