June 17, 2004
CHARLOTTE, NC - The main office of the Mecklenburg County Department of Social Services (DSS) will close to the public for the day on Friday, June 18, 2004. Work to enhance the department's computer system so that staff can offer improved customer service means the data system must shut down for the day.
The Wallace H. Kuralt Centre, located at 301 Billingsley Road in Charlotte, houses the department's Administration, Economic Services and Services for Adults divisions. The department offers services such as Work First cash assistance and employment services, food stamps, family and children's Medicaid, adult Medicaid and adult social work. Employees will report to work for normal business hours.
DSS customers will not be able to conduct the following services, or access the following programs, on that day:
- No walk-in appointments
- No group interviews
- No applications for Medicaid, cash, or food stamps
- No pick up of checks
- No pick up of Medicaid cards
- No selection of a Personal Identification Number (PIN) to activate the Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card to receive food stamps
- No access to the Loaves and Fishes mini food pantry
- No access to the Employment Resource Center
- No reception services
However, the following services can be reached by telephone:
- Adult Protective Services at 704-336-4812
- Child Protective Services at 704-336-2273
- Transportation Services at 704-336-4547
The department will resume normal business hours from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Monday, June 21, 2004.
# # #
Media contact: Suzanne Jeffries at 704-353-0774 or