July 12, 2002
Charlotte, NC - Beginning Monday, July 12, viewers with
digital television receivers or Time-Warner customers with digital cable can view debates for Mecklenburg Board of County Commissioners, U.S. House of Representatives and N.C. Senate. The debates will repeat 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. on GOV-TV through the primary election on July 20, giving voters plenty of opportunities to hear the candidates.
GOV-TV is a digital channel dedicated to government information, administered by public television station WTVI and Mecklenburg County's Public Service and Information Department. GOV-TV broadcasts over-the-air on digital channel 11.2 and can be viewed on Time-Warner digital cable channel 232.
The debates are produced by the League of Women Voters and were taped on July 7 at WTVI's studios. They will be broadcast in five half-hour programs to be repeated during the week.
- U.S. House District 12, Democrat - Kim Holley, Mel Watt
- County Commission District 5, Republican - Dan Bishop, Carla DuPuy, Richard Hough
- County Commission At Large, Democrat - Donna Jenkins Dawson, Parks Helms, Wilhelmenia Rembert, Jennifer Roberts
- County Commission At Large, Republican - Larry Bumgarner, Andy Dulin, Lewis Guignard Jr., Dan Ramirez, Ruth Samuelson
- N.C. Senate District 40, Democrat - Malcolm Graham, T.L. "Fountain" Odom
# # #
Media Contact: Alex Burnett