Morehead Station Demolition Celebration
Wednesday - August 25, 2004 - 10:00 a.m.
1437 E. Morehead Street
(Corner of Morehead Street and Kings Drive)
- Tom Cox, Chairman, Mecklenburg Board of County Commissioners
- Ruth Samuelson, District 5, Mecklenburg Board of County Commissioners
- Patsy Kinsey, District 1, Charlotte City Council
- Wayne Weston, Director, Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation Department
- William Chandler, Chairman, Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation Commission
- Tony Zeiss, President, Central Piedmont Community College
The Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation Department is celebrating a milestone in the development of the Little Sugar Creek Greenway – the demolition of Morehead Station, at the intersection of Kings Drive and Morehead Street. Demolition of other buildings along Kings Drive is already underway. This stretch of future greenway is about ¼-mile long and will eventually connect with future development around Midtown Square and the current greenway segment near Carolinas Medical Center.
When completed, the Little Sugar Creek Greenway will stretch 15-miles, from Cordelia Park in North Charlotte to the South Carolina border. The total estimated cost is $36 million and funding is expected to come from public, private and non-profit sectors. This "green necklace" will wind its way through the heart of Charlotte, adding beauty to urban, suburban and rural areas. It will leave in its wake cleaner air and cleaner water. It will create a place where people can safely walk and ride bicycles – or simply sit outside – away from traffic. Visit
www.parkandrec.com for more details on the project.
# # #
August 16, 2004