Friday's ozone forecast for the Charlotte area is CODE ORANGE. This is an OZONE ACTION DAY.
Individuals sensitive to air quality (the young, elderly, and those with respiratory problems), may experience breathing difficulties and other health-related problems during Ozone Action days.
The Code Orange is a prediction. Our actions can prevent this prediction from coming true.
For more information:
To learn the current air quality status for the Charlotte area, call the Mecklenburg County Air Quality Index line at 704-333-SMOG (704-333-7664)
or look here.
To learn the predicted air quality status for any day, or see if the prediction for tomorrow changes, call toll free 1-888-RU4-NCAIr (1-888-784-6224), select option 4.
To learn more about ozone, and the air quality in Mecklenburg County,
visit the MCAQ web site
It is recommended that everyone take some of the following actions in an attempt to prevent emissions that cause ozone:
- Reduce use of gasoline/diesel-powered engines, at least during the heat of the day [hours of 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.] (people who are young, elderly, or have respiratory problems should not operate engines such as lawn mowers, blowers, or other fuel-powered engines for health reasons)
- Do not refuel vehicles, or any engines, at least during the heat of the day [hours of 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.]
- Do not use paints, or other materials containing solvents, at least during the heat of the day [from 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.]
- Conserve energy (and save yourself some money) by keeping the thermostat above 78F (as high as healthy), block sun from coming into the house (keeping the house cooler), use dish washers, washing machines, dryers, hair dryers, stoves, ovens, ranges in the early morning or evening (before 5:00 a.m. or after 6:00 p.m.)
- Don't use aerosols
- Reduce vehicle trips, unless taking mass transit, or another form of ride sharing such as car pooling or van pooling. If medically possible, consider walking or cycling
- Inform others of the ozone status, so they won't pollute your air; and
- Don't use starter fluid on your bar-b-ques, and avoid bar-b-quing at all;