May 9, 2007
National Women's Health Week is May 13-19 and the Mecklenburg County
Health Department has planned an entire week of events to promote good health for all Mecklenburg County women.
National Women's Health Week encourages women to take simple steps for a longer, healthier, and happier life. The theme for National Women's Health Week 2007 is "It's Your Time: Pamper Your Mind, Body and Spirit."
During the week, families, communities, businesses, government, health organizations and other groups work together to bring attention to and create understanding of women's health issues and educate women about steps they can take to improve their physical and mental health.
The schedule for the week's events, all of which will be held at the Northwest location at 2845 Beatties Ford Road is as follows:
· Monday-8 a.m.-5 p.m.-Family Violence-Counselors will be on hand to answer questions and give advice on dealing with domestic violence issues in the home.
· Tuesday-8 a.m.-5 p.m.-Heart Health-Learn how to stay "heart healthy" and get a free blood pressure screening.
· Wednesday-10 a.m.-7 p.m.-Family Planning-Experts available to answer questions and provide resource information.
· Thursday 8-a.m.-5 p.m.-Sexually Transmitted Disease/HIV-Free walk-in STD/HIV testing.
· Friday-8 a.m.-Noon-Nutrition/Smoking Cessation-Health Department experts on hand to give information on providing a healthy diet for mom and the entire family and how to give up that smoking habit.
· Saturday-9 a.m.-2 p.m.-Breast and Cervical Cancer Awareness-Free mammograms available