LAST DAY TO PAY PROPERTY TAXES WITHOUT INTEREST
Charlotte, NC - Mecklenburg County residents are reminded that property tax payments must be paid on or before Jan. 5, 2009, to avoid interest charges. If mailed, the payment must be postmarked by the United States Postal Service on or before that date.
Property owners whose payments are received or postmarked after January 5 will be charged 2 percent interest for the month of January 2009 and an additional percent every month thereafter until paid.
All unpaid taxes will be advertised in local newspapers and an additional advertising fee will be added to each bill. Unpaid taxes are subject to collection action including garnishment, seizure of property, and foreclosure. North Carolina's set-off debt program also authorizes Mecklenburg County to seize N.C. income tax refunds to satisfy delinquent taxes.
There are several ways to pay your tax bill:
- Online: Visit http://paytax.charmeck.org and use your credit card, debit card or eCheck.*
- By phone: Call 1-877-533-0072 and use your credit/debit card.*
- By mail: Mail your check using the return envelope in your tax bill.
- In person: Pay in person between 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.:
Robert L. "Bob" Walton Plaza, 700 East Stonewall Street
West Service Center, 4150 Wilkinson Blvd.
* Make checks payable to the Mecklenburg County Tax Collector. A convenience fee is assessed when using the credit/debit/eCheck option. Credit/debit/eCheck payments are not accepted when paying in person.