The Debt Setoff Collection Act allows for the County to notify the State of delinquent taxes. Any state income tax refund due the taxpayer may be applied to the debt. A $15.00 collection fee will be added to the bill if it is submitted for setoff. To avoid collection action, the property owner must pay the bill immediately upon notification by mail, or request a hearing within 30 days. An appeal hearing form is enclosed with the delinquency notification. There are roughly 113,000 tax bills that are eligible for the Debt Setoff program.
How to pay your tax bill:
• By Internet: Log on to http://paytax.charmeck.org and use your credit card, debit card or eCheck. *
• Online Banking: Funds are sent electronically from your bank. Please allow up to four business days after the date you authorized your financial institution to make the payment before it is posted to your account. The Bill Number must be present on the payment to ensure property tax posting to your bill. Your payment will be rejected and returned to the financial institution if the bill number is missing or incorrect.
• By phone: Call toll-free 1-877-533-0072 and use your credit/debit card. Service is now available in English and Spanish when paying your tax bill by phone.*
• By mail: Mail your check using the return envelope in your tax bill.
• In person: Pay at the Tax Collector’s office at the Robert L. “Bob” Walton Plaza, 700 East Stonewall Street, Charlotte, NC, or 4150 Wilkinson Blvd., Charlotte, NC, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, at both locations. Cash, money order or checks accepted. Make checks payable to the Mecklenburg County Tax Collector.
* A convenience fee is assessed when using the credit card or debit card option. Credit card and debit card payments are not accepted at the Tax Collector’s office.
Taxpayers with questions about their bill, property listings, or real estate valuations can call City-County Customer Service at 311. Taxpayers calling from outside Mecklenburg County should dial 704-336-7600 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. More information is also available on the Office of the Tax Collector’s website. Visit http://tax.charmeck.org and then click on Office of the Tax Collector.