The Mecklenburg Board of County Commissioners has approved a budget for the FY2012-2013 fiscal year totaling $1.4 billion dollars with a tax rate of 79.22 cents. The budget is $31.3 million dollars more than the current operating budget but reduces the tax rate by 2.44 cents per thousand dollars of assessed property value.
The Board followed the Manager's recommendation
with the following exceptions:
- Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools - The Board accepted the $335 million recommended by the County Manager but put $18.5 million in restricted contingency. It will be paid upon CMS providing evidence that School system employees are provided a 3 percent salary adjustment. There was concern by some Board members that the state budget may provide more funding to CMS that is has budgeted.
- MedAssist was given an additional $50,000
- An additional $65,000 was approved on a contingency basis for the Levine Senior Center
- The Domestic Violence Victims Services was given an additional $243,000
- The Physicians Reach Out Care Ring was approved for an additional $100,000
- The Board approved a one-tine appropriation of $95,000 for maintenance at ImaginOn
- An additional $150,000 was approved for health education for chronic illness (Public Health)
- Commissioners added a line to the budget for Veterans Legal Services and funded it with $55,000
All of the additional expense will be paid for by increasing the forecast for sales tax revenue.
The Board is scheduled to adopt the budget at its June 5 regular meeting.