The theme for this year’s free event is Advocate, Empower and Celebrate: Uniting and Strengthening Women. The event includes tours of the museum, a panel discussion by local, noted women, and heavy hors d'oeuvres. This year’s celebration is the second for the WAB, which is a 15-member advisory board appointed by the Mecklenburg Board of County Commissioners to advise it on current and emerging issues for women in Mecklenburg County.
- Erica Bryant, a news anchor at WSOC-TV in Charlotte, is the moderator for the panel. A list of the panel discussion topics and the presenters follows:
- Women and the Wage Gap: Lisa Yarrow, Director of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Women’s Summit at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- Leading in Education: Ann Clark, Deputy Superintendent, Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools
- Women in Politics: Amy Chiou, a recent law school graduate, who serves with Engage Charlotte, and has experience with political campaigns
- Empowering Women to Action: Aisha Alexander, City Neighborhood Resource Manager, fundraiser and grant writer
Aug. 26, 2012 will mark the 92nd anniversary of women in the United States winning the right to vote. Each year a Presidential Proclamation recognizes this date and the hard work and perseverance of those who have helped secure women’s suffrage.
Find more information and register online at http://womensequalityday2012.eventbrite.com
for the free WAB event. An online application for service on the WAB can be found at http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/CommunitySupportServices/WomensCommission/AboutUs/AdvisoryBoards/Pages/WAB.aspx