All County and City offices will be closed on Monday, Sept.3, in observance of the Labor Day holiday.
Mecklenburg County Courthouse
The Mecklenburg County Courthouse will be open to the public during the week of the DNC. While the Clerk of Superior Court’s Office and Trial Court Administrator’s Offices will be open for business as normal during the week of the DNC, courts will operate on a limited basis. Full list of courtrooms and hours
CMGC Parking Deck & Fourth Street Parking Deck
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Government Center parking deck will be closed from Saturday, September 1 through Thursday, September 6 for both employees and customers during the week of the DNC. The parking deck will re-open for use on Friday, September 7.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Government Center 600 E Fourth Street
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Government Center will be open to the public (lobby level only) and maintain normal operating hours (7 a.m. - 6 p.m.) during convention week.
Pedestrian Check Points
Employees who park in the deck at the corner of Fourth Street and McDowell Street and/or walk to the CMGC or other buildings within the government district will be subject to pedestrian checkpoints and must provide credentials to substantiate having business within this area. This includes City and County employees who work in the CMGC, 700 East Fourth Street and other City/County buildings. A City/County-issued photo ID is required.
Charlotte Mecklenburg Library
The Library will close its two Uptown locations, Main and ImaginOn, to the public during the DNC. The Library system would normally be closed Sunday, Sept. 2 and Labor Day, Monday, Sept. 3. Main and ImaginOn will also close Tuesday, Sept. 4 - Saturday, Sept. 8 and will reopen on Sunday, Sept. 9.
Book returns at Main and ImaginOn will also be closed on these dates. Hours at the remaining 18 Library locations will remain the same. Customers may return library items to other Library locations, which have outdoor book returns available 24/7. Many library services are available online at cmlibrary.org and telephone renewal is available at (704) 416-7363.
Bob Walton Center Parking Lot –(Office of the Tax Assessor) 700 E. Stonewall Street
County employees and residents who conduct business at the Walton Center will be able to park at this location throughout the DNC. However, the only entry and exit for the Walton Center parking lot will be off Stonewall Street (between the Walton Center and the Actor’s Theater). The entrance will be monitored by County security and CMPD, so employees must have a County-issued photo ID to enter the parking lot. Again, please refer to the website above for road closings that may affect travel routes to the Walton Center.
Hal Marshall Services Center Parking Lots (Code Enforcement / Business Tax Offices) 700 N Tryon Street
The parking areas at the Hal Marshall Services Center, including the employee lot and annex lot, also will be monitored by County security and CMPD. Employee access also will require a County-issued ID. Entry and exit to the main building parking lot will be from Phifer Street only. Entry and exit to the annex lot will be from College Street nearest to the Annex, and 11th Street. Customers and visitors will have access to both lots as well.
Mecklenburg County Register of Deeds
The Mecklenburg County Register of Deeds will issue marriage licenses September 4 through September 7; however, magistrates will not perform marriages at either of their locations during the Democratic National Convention.
Homeless Resource Center
Mecklenburg County Community Support Services will open the Homeless Resource Center for additional hours from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. beginning Sunday, September 2, through Thursday, September 6. Water and snacks will be available, along with County Homeless Services Social Workers and Red Cross Volunteers, depending on need.
The following parks will be open to the public during the DNC (August 31 - September 8) but will not be available for reservations: Alexander Street, Bryant, Fourth Ward, Freedom, Frazier, Independence, Latta, Marshall, Ninth Street, and Pearle Street. All other County parks will be open for business as usual and will accept field and shelter reservations.
City of Charlotte
- American Legion Memorial Stadium and the Grady Cole Center will be closed August 31 - September 7. The facility will re-open on September 8.
- The Mecklenburg County Aquatic Center will be closed Aug. 26 – Sept. 7 for annual maintenance. The facility will reopen Sept. 8 (8 a.m. - 5 p.m.).
- Ray's Splash Planet will be closed Sunday, September 2 and Thursday, September 6 and will operate on holiday hours Monday, September 3 (10 a.m. - 6 p.m.).
311 will extend its operating hours beginning Friday, August 31 through Thursday, September 6. The extended hours will be 7 a.m. until 1 a.m.
Solid Waste Services
CMUD Bill Payments
- For the week of September 3-7, collection services will operate as follows:
- Residential garbage and recycling collection services will operate according to the regular schedule.
- Yard waste and bulky item collection services will be suspended.
- All garbage and recycling collections for locations inside the vehicle-restricted areas will occur on their regularly scheduled day, but between the hours of 12:01 a.m. and 6 a.m. (this includes locations serviced by the City and private haulers).
- From September 4-6, payments will be accepted at the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Government Center (CMGC) and West Area Service Center during regular business hours.
- Payments will not be accepted at the Old City Hall drive-up payment stations because they are located within the security perimeter. Signage was posted at Old City Hall starting the week of August 13, notifying citizens of the temporary closure and informing them about alternative payment locations.
- Citizens are being urged to use alternate payment options like the West Area Service Center, Western Union kiosks in many grocery stores and online/electronic bill pay.
- CATS will be operating on normal work schedules.
- The Charlotte Transportation Center (CTC) is being relocated for Monday, September 3 – Wednesday, September 5.
- September 3-5, the LYNX Blue Line will go from I-485/South Boulevard to Stonewall Station. Passengers needing bus connections to the Temporary CTC will disembark at Carson Station.
- On Thursday, September 6, bus operations will resume at the CTC and the LYNX Blue Line will run to the 7th Street Station.
CATS Transit Center Temporary location
Gold Rush Service
- CATS Transit Center will operate at the corners of S. Mint Street and 3rd Street from Monday September 3rd - Wednesday September 5, 2012.
- The temporary transit center will open each day at 5:00 a.m. and close each night at 1:30 a.m.
- CATS will provide signage indicating where routes will stop to deboard and pickup customers.
- Portions of the Valerie C. Woodard Center (VCW) parking lot will be available to the public for use as a “park & ride” lot on Monday, Sept. 3 (Labor Day) and Thursday, Sept. 6. The CATS bus route will not enter the parking lot, but will make its regular stop at Tuckaseegee/Alleghany (near the Freedom Family Restaurant). CATS has been instructed to inform riders where and where not to park at VCW. Monday is a holiday, so there should not be any parking issues. On Thursday, CATS expects the riders to begin arriving after the normal workday has begun. You are advised to arrive at work no later than 9:00 a.m. on this day to avoid potential congestion.
- On Monday, September 3, the Carolina Fest in Uptown will open at 10:00 a.m. and is scheduled to conclude at 6:00 p.m. CATS is promoting transit as a means to attend the event.
- On Thursday, September 6, President Obama’s nomination acceptance will occur. The event kicks off at 1:00 pm, with the President’s speech scheduled to begin around 10:00 p.m. CATS is promoting transit as a means to attend the event.
CATS Customer Service Hours at the temporary transit center are:
- Charlotte Area Transit System’s (CATS) Gold Rush Center City Circulator Service will be in operation Tuesday, September 4 through Thursday, September 6 during the Democratic National Convention.
- The Gold Rush Orange Line will operate with a modified route from 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. on September 4 and from 6:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on September 5.
- On Thursday, September 6, the Orange Line will operate with a modified route from 9:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- The Gold Rush Red Line will operate with a modified route September 4-6 from 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. September 4-6.
- All modified routes and times are listed at www.ridetransit.org.
- Passes and information:
- Weekdays 5:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Transit ID and Lost and Found:
- Weekdays 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- CATS Customer Service Call Center Hours (704-336-7433):
- Weekdays 6:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m
Ballantyne Commons Parkway Road Closure
Additional DNC security measures require the following streets to be closed to vehicular thru traffic beginning at approximately 9:00 a.m. on Monday, September 3, 2012, and ending on Friday, September 7, at approximately 12:00 p.m.
Humans Resources 700 E. Fourth Street
- City /County HR offices will be open.
- Job applications will be accepted via the City website.
- No walk-in applications will be accepted from September 4-6.
CMPD headquarters will be closed to the public beginning Saturday, September 1 and re-open to the public on Friday, September 7. On-line services will be available.
Neighborhood and Business Services & the Community Relations Office
Old City Hall will be closed to the public beginning Tuesday, September 4 and will re-open to the public Friday, September 7. Offices will be operational at an alternate location.
Charlotte-Douglas International Airport
Due to the anticipated increase in vehicle traffic during the DNC, CLT will implement alternative traffic routes on Saturday, September 1; Sunday, September 2 and Friday, September 7. For the convenience of our customers and to improve traffic flow, Charlotte Douglas is making the following changes
For information on the DNC, click here