A priority this year will be given to disabled persons receiving services through the North Carolina Division of Aging and Adult Services, or households in which at least one member of the household is age 60 and older. Applications for those eligible will be taken from Dec. 3, 2012 through Jan. 31, 2013, or until funds are exhausted.
Applications for all other eligible households will be taken from Feb. 1 through Mar. 31, 2013, or until funds are exhausted. DSS will be taking LIEAP applications from eligible residents who meet the following criteria starting on Dec. 3, 2012:
A household that applies must:
- Have at least one U.S. citizen or non-citizen who meets the eligibility criteria,
- Meet an income test,
- Have reserves at or below $2,200,
- Be responsible for the heating bills.
Payments will be made directly to utility companies. Payments will not be made to the applicant. Everyone who is eligible must apply. No one will be automatically approved.
Applications can be made at either DSS location:
- The Wallace H. Kuralt Centre, 301 Billingsley Road, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., or
- The Valerie C. Woodard Center, Chapin Hall, 3205 Freedom Drive, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
What to bring:
- Valid identification
- Proof of income
- Utility bill (if not in your name, proof of responsibility for payment must be verified)
- Valid Social Security card, when available
Media contact: Gary Black at 704-336-3354 or Gary.Black@MecklenburgCountyNC.gov