The Mecklenburg Board of County Commissioners decided to fully fund all of the services not being covered by Cardinal through June 30, 2014, the end of the County’s fiscal year. County Manager Dena Diorio made the recommendation at the March 25 Budget and Public Policy workshop. The Board was not required to vote on the move because the funds had already been appropriated for MeckLINK services.
The additional three months of funding will cost $1.3 million, and will continue services for more than 500 people. The Board will decide on future mental health funding during the FY2015 budget process.
MeckLINK is the department that currently manages, coordinates and monitors mental health, intellectual and/or developmental disability and substance abuse services in Mecklenburg County.
- The North Carolina General Assembly passed a law in June 2013 requiring MeckLINK to be governed by an independent authority.
- In Oct. 2013, the Mecklenburg County Manager’s Office began discussions with Cardinal about a possible transition of services.
- On Dec. 30, 2013, Cardinal posted 196 openings for current MeckLINK employees to apply for.
- The Board of County Commissioners asked Cardinal to present a detailed proposal for taking over MeckLINK at its regular meeting on Jan. 7, 2014.
- On Feb. 4, 2014, the Board voted 9-0 to hand over day-to-day operations to Cardinal. Cardinal will take over day-to-day operations beginning April 1, 2014.
MeckLINK transitions to Cardinal Innovations on April 1, 2014
MeckLINK Behavioral Healthcare will no longer be the managed care organization for mental health, intellectual and/or developmental disabilities and substance abuse services for persons in Mecklenburg County with Medicaid or North Carolina State Insurance. Cardinal Innovations Healthcare Solutions will be the new managed care organization for these services, please click here
to visit their website.
If you are in CRISIS or have a Mental Health Emergency – please contact 1-800-939-5911 or click here
for additional crisis information. Cardinal Innovations is your one point of contact to request behavioral healthcare services, including:
- If you are in crisis: click here.
- To be connected to a provider in the Cardinal Innovations Network: click here.
- If you or a family member is experiencing a mental health (MH) need: click here.
- If you or a family member has an intellectual and/or developmental disability (IDD) click here.
- If you or a family member is experiencing a substance abuse (SA) or addiction problem: click here.
- For further information about community advocacy organizations or resources: click here.
Cardinal Innovations Healthcare Solutions is the new managed care organization for mental health, intellectual and/or developmental disabilities and substance abuse services, please click here to visit their website. To be connected to a provider in Mecklenburg County, please call 1-800-939-5911.
If you are a Provider who is now a member of the Cardinal Network and need information: click here.
If you were a MeckLINK Provider and have an issue regarding a claim for dates of service between 3/1/2013 - 3/31/2014, please send an email to MCOClaims@mecklenburgcountync.gov
For all other general questions regarding the transition, please call
1-800-939-5911 or click here
to visit the Cardinal Innovations website.