Priority in eligibility is given to disabled persons receiving services through the Division of Aging and Adult Services, or households in which a member of the household is age 60 and older. Applications for those households will be taken Dec. 1, 2013 through Jan. 31, 2014 or until funds are exhausted.
Applications for all other households will be taken from Feb. 1 through March 31 of each year, or until funds are exhausted. The Mecklenburg County Department of Social Services (DSS) will be taking LIEAP applications from residents who meet the following criteria starting on Dec.1, 2013:
A household that applies must:
- Have at least one U.S. citizen or non-citizen who meets the eligibility criteria
- Meet an income test
- Have reserves at or below $2,200
- Be responsible for its heating bills
Payments will be made directly to utility companies. Payments will not be made to the applicant. Everyone who is eligible must apply; no one will be automatically approved.
Applications can be made at either DSS location:
Kuralt Center, 301 Billingsley Road, Charlotte, or
Chapin Hall, 3205 Freedom Drive, Charlotte
What to bring:
- Valid Identification
- Proof of Income
- Utility Bill (if not in your name, proof of responsibility for payment must be verified)
- Valid social security when available