The event is one of several Mecklenburg County has planned to mark its 250th anniversary this year.
The Rededication ceremony featured remarks by state and County officials, music, Revolutionary War-era historical re-enactors, and tours of the rededicated courthouse.
The Historic Courthouse, now home to the District Attorney’s Office, is designated as a historic landmark and is one of the few remaining buildings of the 1920s building boom in uptown Charlotte. The Neoclassical-style building opened in 1928 as Mecklenburg County’s fifth courthouse.
Legend holds that the first act of Mecklenburg County government took place on Feb. 26, 1763 at a ramshackle wooden cabin that once stood near present-day Randolph and Caswell streets in Charlotte. The cabin was the home of Thomas Spratt and is held to be the location of the first court held in Mecklenburg County.
Mecklenburg County’s 250th anniversary celebration was announced earlier this year through a proclamation issued by the Mecklenburg Board of County Commissioners, who designated 2013 as the Year of the Mecklenburg County Sestercentennial Celebration and saluted the founding of Mecklenburg County on Feb. 26, 1763.