September 17, 2009
Charlotte, NC --Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation Department will host community workshops this fall to seek public comments on tennis court operations and to create a new “vision” for tennis in the parks. All users and potential users of tennis courts are invited to attend and share their thoughts. These workshops will include a general presentation on existing tennis court operations, programming, and facilities, followed by facilitated group discussions about tennis in the future.
Workshops are scheduled for:
- Wednesday, September 23, 7pm, at Clanton Indoor Pavilion, 3132 Manchester Ave.
- Monday, October 5, 7pm, at William R. Davie Park’s indoor shelter, 4635 Pineville-Matthews Rd.
- Wednesday, October 21 , 7pm, at Jetton Park’s Waterfront Hall, 19000 Jetton Rd., Cornelius
Primary focus of discussions will be in three areas:
- Facility Operations: The development of standardized signage for facilities, standard hours of operation, guidelines for court reservations, and tennis listings online.
- Programming and Use: Assessing current programs and the development of standardized requirements and oversight for tennis pros, leagues, and tournaments, plus examining ways to expand opportunities for and awareness of drop-in play.
- Future Development: Developing future tennis facilities, attracting private investment and funding.
A Tennis Task Force will also be formed in late 2009 to further the attainment of the goals and objectives of this process. Public input is vital to this process! For more information contact Phil Fleischmann: 704 432-5715 or Phillip.Fleischmann@MecklenburgCountyNC.gov.