Customers interested in visiting the chapel
for either a tour or to book a wedding are able to do so on Thursdays, from 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. and Fridays, from noon to 4 p.m.
The chapel, located at 1129 E. 3rd Street in uptown Charlotte, was constructed between 1891 and the summer of 1892 as part of the Thompson Orphanage. The late Judge William Preston Bynum donated $2,500 to construct the Chapel as a memorial to his late wife, Eliza, and daughter, Mary Shipp Bynum. The chapel was built with bricks that were apparently made from clay dug at the orphanage then fired there which is evidenced by distinctive black marks made during the drying process, and the fact that an inordinate number of bricks were used in the extremely thick foundation and walls.
Extensive repairs and improvements completed in 2013 at the chapel include:
- Structural repairs in the crawl space
- Interior plaster repair and painting
- New parking spaces compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Roof tile repairs
- New interior and exterior wiring and lights
- Exterior brick repairs
- Cleaning and sealing of the bricks
- Installation of a new heating, ventilation and air conditioning system
- New landscaping
The chapel was designated as a historic landmark by the Charlotte Mecklenburg Historic Properties Commission in January 1975. Currently, the Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation Department maintains an ongoing partnership with the Thompson Orphanage Alumni Association and operates the chapel as a wedding, memorial service and cultural event rental facility. Maximum occupancy is 100 people.
For more information about the chapel, or to check availability for a wedding or memorial service, call 704-333-1235.