The project includes repairs in the crawl space, new electrical wiring throughout the facility, new heating ventilation and air conditioning, new lighting, interior plaster repair, new ADA parking spaces, exterior brick repair, cleaning and sealing of the bricks, and gutter and roof tile repair. The cost of the project is approximately $325,000. The Chapel will retain its historic charm and the project is expected to be substantially completed by Feb.14, 2013.
St. Mary’s Chapel
was constructed between 1891 and the summer of 1892 as part of the Thompson Orphanage. The late Judge William Preston Bynum donated $2,500 to construct the Chapel as a memorial to his late wife Eliza and daughter Mary Shipp Bynum. The Chapel was built with bricks that were apparently made from clay dug at the orphanage and fired there which is evidenced by distinctive black marks made during the drying process, and the fact that there was an inordinate number of bricks used in the extremely thick foundation and walls.
The Chapel was designated as a historic landmark by the Charlotte Mecklenburg Historic Properties Commission in January 1975 and today the Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation Department operates it as a wedding rental facility for a maximum of 100 people.
Learn more about the department’s historical sites
For more information about the Chapel, contact James Alsop