Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation Department invites all interested citizens to participate in any one of series of community workshops October 22-25, 2007 about a new Comprehensive Park and Recreation Master Plan.
This master plan will set the direction for our park system and establish a comprehensive series of recommendations and goals for the next 10 years. It will concern all aspects of recreation programs and facilities in Mecklenburg County. These workshops will be conducted by the PROS Consulting, LLC Team, which has drawn master plans for many park systems across America. The purpose of the meetings to garner vision, insight and opinions from any citizen. Interviews and focus groups with various groups will also be conducted. Mecklenburg Park and Recreation considers all citizens to be "stakeholders" in our department for this purpose.
Workshops have been scheduled across the county to encourage participation from all sections. Citizens are invited to attend and speak at any of the following sessions, all held 6:30pm-8pm at the following dates and places:
Community Workshops for the Master Plan
October 22 – Cornelius Town Hall, 21445 Catawba Ave., Cornelius, NC
Notes from October 22nd workshop (PDF)
October 23 – Johnson/Wales University, 801 W. Trade St., Charlotte, NC
Notes from October 23rd workshop (PDF)
October 24 – Matthews Town Hall, 232 Matthews Station St., Matthews, NC
Notes from October 24th workshop (PDF)
October 25 – CMGC, 600 East Fourth St., Room 267, Charlotte, NC
Notes from October 25th workshop (PDF)
10/8/07 Master Plan update
This is an update on the progress of the implementation of the Comprehensive Master Plan for Mecklenburg County Parks and Recreation Department.
1. We kicked of the Comprehensive Plan on September 18th with a formal presentation to staff during the day and with Key Community Leaders as a workshop on the evening of September 18th. The Consulting Team reviewed the scope and role of each consultant and timeline. On September 19th, Leon Younger, Lead Project Consultant had a park tour with staff of parks and recreation facilities.
2. On October 1-5, Leon Younger interviewed approximately 28 key leaders in 30-40 minute sessions over the course of the week. The interviews were primarily with elected officials, key County and City staff and Commission members. Additional meeting will take place on October 22nd through the 25th. This information will be used in establishing key focal points for the citizens survey to go out in early November.
3. Neighboring Concepts will be conducting focus group meetings over the next two weeks from October 8th through the 18th with various community stakeholders and special interest groups through out the county during the evenings each day.
4. Neighboring Concepts and PROS Consulting will be conducting public forums during the week of October 22nd through the 25th as well through out the county. Publications on the meetings will begin this week.
5. Staff focus groups also will begin October 22nd through the 25th as well to gain their input into the planning process during this week.
6. Land Design and Greenways Inc. will begin their work gathering input and data beginning the week of October 15th with staff on the Greenways Update Master Plan.
7. Woolpert will begin their work as well with Mecklenburg County staff on the Natural Areas Plan. Woolpert staff toured the week of October 1st of the natural areas in the county for updating the Natural Areas Plan.
8. November ETC Institute will start the citizens survey which will take approximately 6 weeks to complete. The survey will be developed from key citizens input and staff review. It is a mail/phone survey.
9. Barbara Heller of PROS Consulting will be kicking off the Recreation Program Plan on October 23 and 24th with Recreation Staff in a workshop and tour. Recreation staff have began to assemble the program matrix provided by PROS to staff in a worksession on October 4th.
Please submit your comments and feedback.
Send an email here