If you take the total amount of waste produced in Mecklenburg County and divide it by the number of residents, you'll find that a Mecklenburg County resident produces almost 7 pounds of garbage daily!
CHOOSE PRODUCTS WISELY
Shop with the environment in mind & choose products that:
• make the best use of energy resources
• don't pollute air and water
• are reusable or recyclable
• are made from recycled material
• use a minimum of materials in design packaging
PRACTICE THE FIVE R'S IN SELECTING PACKAGING
More than 30% of household waste is packaging. As an enviroshopper, you can choose products in packages that have the least amount of negative environmental impact.
• Reduce the amount of packaging you buy and throw away.
• Reuse packaging.
• Recycle packaging whenever possible.
• Reject packaging that's unsatisfactory.
• Respond to producers and retailers to let them know their packaging is unsatisfactory.
• Take your grocery bags back to the store.
• Take your own shopping bag for small purchases.
• Choose packaging that uses the least amount of material.
• Buy products in the largest quantity possible in one package or buy refills and add liquid.
For more tips on shopping wisely
or call 704-432-3466 with questions or comments.