How Do I ...
Online Services
Public Records
LD Home
As-Built Requirements
Contact Us
Erosion Control
LD Inspections
Plan Review
Plan Submittal
Site Checklist
Subdivision Ordinances
Sureties & Bonds

​Land Development Bond Information FAQs
  1. What is a bond?
    Land Development bonds and sureties are an upfront payment by the developer, builder or owner. The bond guarantees that the required public improvements to the site will be made at the developer’s expense within the required timeframe. It also guarantees projects will be completed based on applicable ordinances of the Towns of Cornelius, Davidson, Huntersville, Matthews, Mint Hill and Pineville as well as the Mecklenburg County Land Development guidelines, compliance code and ordinances.

  2. When is a maintenance bond required?
    A maintenance bond is required in instances of roadway maintenance for public roads. Maintenance bonds are required to inspect the maintenance of BMPs that have approved as-builts.

  3. When is a construction bond required?
    A construction bond is required when an incomplete project is being developed and it requires public improvements, recordation, certificate of occupancy and compliance with requirements of the Town and Mecklenburg County Land Development.

  4. What types of public improvements are bonded?
    Bonds are required for sidewalks, curb, gutter, access easements, storm drains, subdivision streets, commercial streets, street signage, street lights, trees, detention basins, detention ponds, planting, erosion control measures, planting, barricades, concrete monuments and structures, street trees, all infrastructure public improvements and all other items specified by the respective Town.

  5. When is a bond required?
    A bond is required for subdivision plat recordation, when a commercial certificate of occupancy is needed, to release a Land Development hold on a project, and to allow real estate transactions to take place before site improvements are completed and in place.

  6. What types of bonds are accepted?
    Approved bonds include Letter of Credit (bank issued), Surety Bond (insurance entity) and Cash Method (money order or check payment.) 

  7. Who places a bond?
    The bond can be placed by the project developer, land owner or builder.

  8. How long is a bond effective and when is it released?
    A bond stays in place and renews yearly as required until the project is inspected, completed and approved by a Town authority and Mecklenburg County Land Development. The standard time frame for a bond is four years. A bond is released when the respective Town and Mecklenburg County Land Development inspect the completed project and approve the release.

  9. What must I submit for plat approval?    
    This checklist describes what is required for plat approval.

  10. What if the project does not require a plat but does require a bond?
    Examples of projects that require a bond but not a plat include zoning, BMPs without as-builts, and maintenance bonds. When a bond is required but not a plat, follow the Bond Process for a construction bond.

  11. How do I get a bond estimate?   
    You may request a bond estimate from Mecklenburg County Land Development by filling out the Bond Inspection Request form.
    Submit the completed form via:
    • Email to
    • US Postal Service to:
       Mecklenburg County Land Development
          700 North Tryon Street
       Charlotte, NC 28202
       Attn: Casena Michael
    • Fax to 704-432-2523

    Or if you prefer, the project engineer may estimate the bond using the Bond Estimate form.

  12. What is the appropriate verbiage for the bank to use for Letters of Credit? 
    Provide the Approved Bank Wording for Use in Letters of Credit document to the financial institution that will generate the letter of credit. The bank or financial institution is to:
    • complete the gray form fields on the document
    • place the verbiage on the bank or financial institution’s letterhead
    • print the document for signatures.

    The verbiage listed on the Approved Bank Wording for Use in Letters of Credit must be included on all Letters of Credit submitted to Mecklenburg County Land Development. Submission of any other verbiage will be reviewed by Mecklenburg County’s attorney at additional cost to the applicant.

  13. Where do I get the required Guarantee of Installation form?  
    • a Letter of Credit or
    • cash
    please complete the Letter of Credit Guarantee of Installation form. Fill in the gray form fields and print the document for signatures. Guarantee of Installation forms will not be accepted if they have been modified in any way.
    For  a:
    • surety
    please complete the Surety Guarantee of Installation form. Fill in the gray form fields and print the document for signatures. Guarantee of Installation forms will not be accepted if they have been modified in any way.

  14. How do I submit plans for County Land Development to review?
    Plans are submitted through Mecklenburg County’s Electronic Plan Management (EPM) system.  
More information about how to use EPM.

Printed from: