LIEAP (Low Income Energy Assistance Program) is a federally funded program that provides for a onetime vendor payment to help eligible households pay their heating bills.
Priority in eligibility is given to disabled persons receiving services through the Division of Aging and Adult Services, or households in which a member of the household is age 60 and older. Applications for those households will be taken December 1st through January 31st or until funds are exhausted.
Applications for all other households will be taken from February 1st through March 31st of each year or until funds are exhausted. DSS will be taking LIEAP applications from residents who meet the following criteria starting on December 1.
A household that applies must:
- Have at least one U.S. citizen or non-citizen who meets the eligibility criteria
- Meet an income test
- Have reserves at or below $2,200
- Be responsible for it's heating bills
Payments will be made directly to utility companies. Payments will not be made to
the applicant. Everyone who is eligible must apply, no one will be automatically
Applications can be made at either DSS location:
1) Kuralt Center, 301 Billingsley Road, Charlotte, or 2) Chapin Hall, 3205 Freedom Drive, Charlotte.
What to Bring:
- Valid Identification
- Proof of Income
- Utility Bill (if not in your name, proof of responsibility for payment must be
- Valid social security when available