How Do I ...
Online Services
Public Records
Adult Social Work Services
Adult Medicaid
Adult Medicaid Questions
In-Home Aide
Adult Day Care
Central Intake Questions
Senior Nutrition Program
Congregate Meal Program
Home Delivered Meals
Short Term Homebound Meal Program
Supplemental Meal Program
Kinship Care
Frequently Asked Questions
Just 1 Call

Adult Social Work Services (ASWS)


  • Centralized Intake (CI) is the single portal of entry for information, referral, and initiation of services. CI is to Social Services what the emergency room is to the hospital. The CI process begins with an inquiry from a prospective client, family member, a member of the community, or an agency.  Our highly skilled intake social workers screen and assess urgent complex requests for assistance via telephone, office, and home visit interviews and help the client access needed resources. See frequently asked guestions.


  • The Monitoring Unit provides Placement Services to long term care facilities.  Adult Care Home Management is provided to heavy care Medicaid residents in adult care homes. Case management is also provided to older and disabled adults attending adult day care centers.


  • Adult Protective Services (APS) provides protective services to disabled adults, 18 years of age or older who are alleged to be abused, neglected, or exploited and in need of protection. APS Social Workers evaluate the reports and assess the disabled adult's capacity to consent for services. This unit also processes applications for guardianship in liaison with the local hospitals. To report instances of abuse, neglect or exploitation of an older or disabled adult, please call 704-336-CARE (2273) immediately. Your call will be kept confidential.


  • The Caregiver Support Program provides assistance to family and volunteer caregivers who provide assistance to the loved ones at home. Persons being cared for must reside in Mecklenburg County and be over the age of 60 or have Alzheimer's Disease or other dementia. Services include referrals to community agencies, education, and funding for respite services and supplemental services such as home modifications, nutritional supplements and adaptive equipment. All of this is focused on making the caregiver's role more manageable.


  • Kinship Care is the family caregiver support program at Mecklenburg County Department of Social Services for any older relative raising younger children. Thus far participants are grandmothers and grandfathers who are raising their grandchildren. If you are a grandparent raising grandchildren or other relative caregiver of children up to age 17, we invite you to come and be a part this very exciting group of grands. We meet the second Monday of each month at 3205 Freedom Drive, Charlotte, NC 28208. We are located at the corner of Ashley Rd and Freedom Drive. For more information call Just 1 Call at 704-432-1111.


  • Guardianship provides services to individuals who have been declared mentally incompetent and who have no one else to assume this responsibility.  Social workers aid in locating resources to meet the needs of these individuals in the least restrictive living arrangements.


  • Services to Maintain Independence (SMI) Social Workers help older and disabled adults access community resources and other services that will enable the individuals to remain safely in their own homes as long as possible.

The individual needing services or someone acting on the individual's behalf can call Just1Call at 704-432-1111 to request assistance. Requests for assistance can also be made in person. See list of locations.



Printed from: